Tuesday, May 17, 2005

My nose feels funny.

For those of you who don't know, that't my standard line for "I think I'm on the way to getting drunk." My nose felt funny two hours ago.

Now my head is going buzzzzz and I should go to bed. Big day tomorrow and don't worry, you'll get to know all about it. I'm dragging an Italian guy I've never met before to the May 17th parade. May 17th is our national holiday, it was when, in 1814, our constitution was written. And having an exchange student here who doesn't realize what's going on, and will miss out on the whole thing unless I help him out, is just not cool.

It's the children's day, we don't have military parades at all, it's all flags, music, hot dogs and as much ice cream as you can eat. It's a wonderful day and, no matter how far I flee to get away from Norway, Norwegians and the Norwegian language, this day makes me proud to belong to this country. Whether I be in a small town in the middle of nowhere, or in a park in Paris marching alongside the ambassador, it doesn't matter. A May 17th parade is a Norwegian thing, we love it, we can't leave it, no matter how far we run.

2 comments:

  1. Pictures?

    We loves pictures. Pictures are good. (Of the Parade, not you getting drunk. That's not a very flattering time, no matter how you look at it).

    Don't forget to have a glass o' water or two. It's the difference between the *eeeeeeeeeeeeeee* buzzing in your ears, and the super-base thud-thud of hangover the morning after.

    Party On.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got pictures. I'll post them as soon as I get a chance.

    I never have headaches, I just feel nauseous all day. I didn't drink water last night but I did run to the fridge to get a bottle when I realized how I was feeling. I had a shower and four strawberries for breakfast and by the time I'd gotten dressed I was feeling fine :)

    ReplyDelete


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.