Friday, November 19, 2004

Thoughts

A guy on Skype just asked me if I wanted to see something weird on the net. He had called me and I told him I was just surfing. I asked him what he meant, and he asked me what I felt about the beheadings in Iraq. I said thought it was horrible, obviously. He proceeded to ask me if I would like to watch someone get beheaded.

Now, I'm not saying that it's normal or abnormal or anything (don't like those words) to want to watch someone get their head chopped off. When they talk about it on the news I always wonder why we never get to see it actually happen, although I understand, and appriciate, the fact that they cut the clip where they do. Wouldn't it be a little exciting to see? Isn't that usually how we react? I can't see it so I want to see. I can't do it so I want to do it.

My initial reaction to his question, did I want to watch it, was "why do you think I would want to?". I was actually surprised at myself how repulsive that thought was at that moment. I told the guy that seeing someone get killed really wasn't on the top of my list of things to see right now.

Who would want to see a person get killed? Some people are in positions that force them to witness such acts of violence, but why would someone choose to see it?

I can't blame anyone for wanting to watch. I just sit at home, all safe and comfy, and I hear about what's going on out there. I watch the news, I read the reports. It does shake me. Every time. But watching something 'real' might shake me a little more. And then there's always the attraction toward what is 'forbidden'. Whether it's a hurricane or a fire, it's exciting and it makes people sit on the edge of their chair for a couple of days. It makes us look up and out for a while. It's exciting.

But at the same time, at least for me, I just felt I have more respect for a human life, and death, than for it to become some sort of entertainment. Watching someone die. I have the choice. Why would I say yes?


It's snowing in Norway. It's pink outside, tiny snowflakes landing softly on the ground, covering the city in a white blanket. I love walking outside at home when the weather is like this. It's just one of those things you won't understand until you've experienced it. It's peace. It's beauty. At its very very best.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:23 AM

    This is 1 big teddy bear that hopes you did not watch it. I can't think of anything in this so disgusting as a fellow human being treated in such a way, well maybe some idiot asking if you want to watch it. Poeple who get thrills out of that type of babaric behaviour really do need to evaluate what makes them feel good or amused.Bye the way hello apple lady.:-) big ted bye.

    ReplyDelete


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.