Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The rains have come

The lights are off and the windows open. It's so loud you'd have to raise your voice to be heard. They said on the radio we'll be getting 100mm (2 1/2 inches) of rain the next few days. In my Middle East class today we saw a video from Yemen (The hanging gardens of Arabia) where they said they're lucky when they get that much in a year. I wish I could give them some of ours. They need it and we've got plenty.

The gutter that runs along the roof goes down a drain right outside my window. From time to time, when there's too much water at the same time, it makes loud gurgling noises that sound like something is breaking really loudly.

Rain in Bergen doesn't just mean rain. When it rains here, it's always windy. I learnt that the hard way. You get soaking wet no matter how you hold your umbrella. If you manage to hold onto it. But it also means more noise, rain hitting the roof and wind blowing by. My window is so wet I can't see the world clearly.

Rain or no rain.
Do we ever see the world clearly?


Edit: of course that was supposed to be 4 inches, I don't know where my mind was at... I must have though 1 inch is 2.5 cm but still... Anyway, thanks to anonymous (aka teddy bear) for correcting me.

3 comments:

  1. No, I'm afraid we don't, apples.

    The weather is the same here. Windy, rainy, and cold. I can't see anything inside; I can't see anything outside either.

    We've got heavy rainfall warnings in the semi-arid zone, and for once, I'm not surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rain in Bangladesh is also heavy and for long periods of time. i luv rain. i sleep better on a rainy night

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:56 AM

    Annie, 100mm of rain equals 4 inches sweetie, better put your galoshes on.

    ReplyDelete


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.