Sunday, August 21, 2005

My week

Monday
Got back to Bergen yesterday. First day of University, starting Development Studies. Since we were new, we were divided into groups lead by older students. They would be taking us around the city this week, starting out with a tour of the buildings where we'll be having our lectures and seminars. In the evening we went to two of the guys' place. Most people left to go to a concert, not having bought a ticket I stayed behind with another girl and three guys. After a while we headed down to the club aswell, losing sight of everyone we knew, I spent most of the evening walking around with this girl who kept wanting to go out for a cigarette. On the way back to my place around 2am I saw a hedgehog on its way across the bridge, probably on a way to a late party.

Tuesday
Woke up at 8:30am, sat up, thought 'No way!' and went back to sleep. The official opening of the Uni year was at 10, I hear it was fun... At 2pm I met the others in my group, sat around for a while before going to a bbq behind a club. It took so long for anything to happen, I decided to run some errands and get back home. Realized I'd forgotten the charger for my phone, called my dad to get him to send it. Early night.

Wednesday
9:15am, meeting for those doing Development Studies. Afterwards we all signed up for our subjects and for exams. Those who didn't have Uni email accounts sorted that out.

Thursday
Quick info meeting about a subject I'm taking, then at 15:30 we all met up, having been told we were going to solve riddles all around town. Not having a clue what was happening, we were lead into a club were we were told we were going to sing karaoke. Never done that before and so Danish band Aqua's infamous Barbie Girl was performed by the 11 of us. Next up, a pizza restaurant. There we picked a song, got each our balloon filled with helium and sang the best we could in squeaky voices. The next so-called riddle involved throwing soaking wet sponges on the older students following us around; points awarded when you hit the head or the ass... I don't know who won the whole contest but I know it wasn't my group. Some of the others went to go sit in a park, I went home before I joined them at a club later in the evening.

As for what really happened that evening, I'm not quite sure. I managed to lose my bag and my beloved shawl which I bought at a flee market a year ago. Some guys were talking to me, when the lights were turned on and the beer taps turned off, I went out with one of them. I'm not sure what happened. I'm not sure I want to remember everything. I talked too much about something I shouldn't talk about, he wanted to have a glass of wine and 'have fun'. I told him politely he'd have to find another girl for that. He said no, he would just go home. He seemed nice though. I went back to the appartment alone.

Friday
The superintendent came with a key for me, I called my phone and was told it was at the police station. Not feeling my very best, slept for a while. Never going out again.

Saturday
Went to the police station, was told it was closed during the weekends, come back Monday. Went to the shop looking for noodles but they were out. Not having eaten in 48 hours I still wasn't hungry but was starting to feel rather light headed, realized it would be a good idea to have dinner. Watched Analyze This again.

Sunday
4:45am. Dooooaaadooooaaadooooaaa. Fire alarm. Out of bed, out the door, wait for roommates, down the stairs. When we get to the first floor there are lots of people standing by the exit, most in pj's, some still dressed. When we moved in last year, the fire alarm went off all the time. They didn't hook it up to the fire station system until August 1st this year. After 5-10 minutes there are blue lights outside. A firetruck pulls by the door on the floor below us. Then another one. Two firemen in smoke diving gear rush through the door, another with 'ordinary' fireman clothes. They stop on the ground floor for a while before one guy comes up the stairs. Ten minutes later someone comes saying "527... 527!". Two women with a bunch of keys comes through the door.

After about 25 minutes the alarm stopped and we started going back to our appartments. 527 being three doors down the hallway from us, the smell of something burnt was heavy in the air as we walked back to our rooms. Going back to sleep took quite a while, that alarm stays in your ears for a while. Apparently I wasn't the only one who couldn't sleep. We still don't know what happened, just that a girl in a wheelchair moved in there a few days ago. We've been wondering for a year who came up with the brilliant idea of placing handicapped people in wheelchairs on the top floor, unable to move on their own, not allowed to use the elevator in case of a fire. The rest of the day has been spent finding exam dates, schedules for lectures and which books to buy tomorrow.

What a week...

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:17 PM

    Annie, was the BBQ under a tree with a tub full of ice and beer in the stinkin' heat?
    If not, too bad , there the best kind remember?
    Love you missy, Big Ted.
    Did you find your shawl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring my camera? So I can lose that too? I don't think so... Now I'm only able to take like 30 pics before I have to charge the battery again. Which sucks.


    And yes, I found the shawl and the purse and everything! They said a lady found it on the stairs on the other side of the bridge. Which is very strange, I thought I went back that way looking for it... I seem to have lost a few hours.

    I've realized I'm just a little late. Most kids probably learnt this when they were 16 and got wasted at some party or a friend's house and all kinds of bad things came out of it. I never did that so I guess I'm learning now. I've been careless and irresponsible and now I'll know better next time.

    Gotta make your own mistakes and you can learn from them.

    ReplyDelete


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.