Sunday, August 14, 2005

Goodbye, summer.

I'm packing my bags. In a few hours I'll be on the bus back to Bergen. Summer vacation is over, Uni starts Monday. No more swimming in the lake. No more walking in the mountains. No more lying on the grass reading. No more grass.

I went outside a little after midnight. It's dark now. It hasn't been dark outside since May. Autumn is coming and the stars were bright. It's been so long since I saw them, and now that I can, I'm going back to the city with its street lights, houses, traffic. Everything it takes to brighten the world. And take the stars out of people's eyes.

I'm seriously wondering if the zipper in my bag is gonna break and it'll burst open. I've thought of that other times, but this is the first time I'm seriously considering taking something out. I also need someone to sit on my suitcase so I can close it (yes, I have both a bag and a suitcase). How will I ever get my teddy bears in?


Summer has been nice though. It started late; it rained throughout June and I stayed in Bergen longer than I planned. I came home just as July was about to start and continued my routine of doing nothing. I've been reading a lot, we went to Sweden, been walking around the mountains and... that's it. A month and a half gone just like that.

Allthough I don't particularly feel like going back to Bergen, I'll enjoy some time on my own. New books, new people, new buildings, new study, new professors, same appartment, same city. New roommate (flatmate) though.

It's always like this, isn't it? A new semester starting, you never want to let go of the freedom of summer, yet there's something comforting in getting into the routine again. I always used to hate getting up early (hate not as in dislike but as in really really hate) but fortunately Uni is a bit more of "pick your own study time". Or maybe it's not so fortunate since it usually means the same as "sleep until lunch time", at least for me. Not at the beginning though, I'll try and do better this year.

Autumn feels soothing. Leaves turning yellow, orange and red, falling off the trees. No more wearing skirts and t-shirts, put on some clothes and remember your umbrella. Spending time at the library (autumn is supposed to be time for books but I never got that... every season is a season for books in my world). It's such a calm season. That is when you're thinking about it, when it's actually here it's a lot colder, wetter and windier than you imagined.


Summer is, although not quite gone, on its way to other places, other people, other countries.

I'm leaving tomorrow and I'll be back for Christmas.
I hope it'll snow...

4 comments:

  1. Autumn is a time for birthdays too.

    Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. aDDRESS of my blog :

    http://sbhatta1978.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. ggub7xehq59udof - thanks for sharing?

    Virgo - will check it out :)

    ReplyDelete


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.