Friday, January 28, 2005

Psalms and Dreams

There's this psalm called 'Måne og sol' - Moon and sun. That's the only psalm I like, not that I ever sing or hear any psalms. But I liked this one when I went to Sunday school and put sticky giraffes in a book. Yeah, I went to Sunday school. With my brother. Hated it too.

But this song, Måne og sol, is one I've always liked. I don't know it though, only the first lines and the tune. Or so I though. See, I've always thought the first line was

Måne og sol, vinder og hav
(Moon and sun, winds and oceans)

Well, today I did a search for it. And I found out I've been wrong all along. There's no ocean. The real version is

Måne og sol, skyer og vind
(Moon and sun, clouds and wind)

Where did I get the ocean from? When did I take the clouds out?

I've always loved the ocean. Growing up in a small town with a big lake, mountains all around, summer always meant going to the island where my mum grew up further north. I can see the ocean from my window now, but it's not an ocean, not really. It's a fjord creeping between islands and mountains. A month ago I was able to see the sky touch the sea in the horizon for the first time in... probably for the first time since I was there last, over 5 years ago. That's one of the most amazing things I can imagine... Just looking straight ahead, knowing there's nothing there for miles and miles.

I am gonna get on that boat one day, and I am gonna sail around the Caribbean.... Or the Mediterranean.

Not or - and.

Dreams...

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:59 PM

    The famous Norwegian contermporary composer Egil Hovland was "banned" from the church, since his music was to advanced.
    WHen he was going to put melody to this swedish poem, he went into a church and he saw a picture of children.
    God gave him a vision of these children floating out in space and then ladning on a sheet of papers forming notes. THe notes was the melody of this psalm, "Måne og Sol". He thought it was childish, but todays it is the most played song in all the TONO regiser og norwegain music. No wonder you like this psalm, it came from heaven.

    ReplyDelete


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.