Monday, December 13, 2004

Saint Lucie

December 13th is when we celebrate Saint Lucie in Scandinavia. I don't know if that's what it's called in English since, as far as I know, we only really celebrate this up here in the north. In kindergartens and at school the kids dress up in white gowns and have tinsel(?) around their heads, carrying candles. One of the oldest kids is in front with a crown like thing with candles (not real candles) on their head. We make lussekatter and give them out to the other kids. The kindergarten I went to was right next to an... old people's home is what we call it. We used to go there with our lussekatter in baskets and sing the song holding our candles. They used to turn the lights off so it was all dark when we came. Happy days...

Yesterday my sister and I made gingerbread cookies. I posted one pic below and we made a little family and some little ones. Our mum made the dough the day before and although she only made half of what she usually does (way too much left from last year), we still made loads. Can't have Christmas without pepperkaker! We're making gingerbread houses Wednesday... and hearts to tie red ribbons to and hang in the windows. I'm just waiting for the snow to come. Tomorrow is supposed to be stormy here in the west, lots of wind. They're telling us to bring in things that can fly away and if we've got a Santa Claus in our garden we shouldn't leave him out there. I can't see no Santa in my garden... lil early for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.