Friday, December 10, 2004

The dentist

I was in the chair at about 10:20. The woman showing me where to sit said they were waiting for a patient to come at 10:30, it was kinda an emergency. The dentist came and started doing his thing, and at 10:40 the woman asked if they should take an x-ray of the patient, the emergency was an 8 year old girl with a toothache. The dentist went "What? She's here?" "Yeah", the woman said. "Oh fuck!"

That's just what you want to hear when you've got your mouth full of metal, the dentist going 'oh fuck!'. That made me feel sooo much better. He started going really fast with everything, sorta ripping things out and trying to stretch my lips waaay too far apart. I've got a small mouth, you're not supposed to be able to put your entire hand in there! It's a snug fit even for smaller things... Why do male dentists do that? We had a dentist here, the one everyone had to go to when we were at school. He didn't wear gloves and stuffed his hands into our mouths when we were just kids. He retired though and the last time we saw the dentist in elementary school it was another man. He was really really nice.

After that I've only seen women, simply because there were only women in the office in the town where I went to high school. I figured I'd just got rid of my fear of dentists, I used to hate them. But then this summer when I went for a check up, there was this new guy there. He was a student, almost done with his education to become a dentist, and he was the one who did me (well, just my teeth..). He had the cutest eyes, his eyes and eyebrows were all I could see above that thing he had covering his mouth and nose (dunno what it's called). He was always asking if it hurt if I as much as moved my hand. He was really really nice aswell.

Then today there was another man. A grown up man. A dentist man. As I wrote above, he was not really really nice. When he started hurrying, he also started whistling. Only he wasn't whistling, no sound came out. I think he was trying to not make me realize he was 'speeding up', but he seemed all nervous when he found out he was late for the other patient. I hope he's just a really good dentist and that everything was done the way it should be done. It doesn't hurt anymore and the tooth doesn't even feel funny!

Anyway, although I saw a scary dentist man again, I'm still not scared of dentists. I think I've been cured! Nice women took my childhood fears away. Dentists and parent-teacher-pupil conversations were my two big fears as I was growing up.

1 comment:

  1. there's one more thing, actually. millipedes and centipedes. I don't know if they're the same thing or what, but in Norwegian we just have one word for them. am I scared of them? I wouldn't say scared... or maybe that's just what that feeling is. they're creatures of the devil, no more no less. and that's the fact. I don't even believe in the devil, but those guys, they're his creatures.

    they just have a bad vibe to them... I wouldn't want to go near one. unless of course it's in the house and I have to get it outside but I won't touch it. get a glass and a piece of paper or something, but I'm not touching those things. bad..vibes.

    that's where bad karma takes you!

    ReplyDelete


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.