Sunday, April 10, 2005

Bad day

I sneezed last night. Nothing scary there, only it feels like I sneezed open a big wound deep down in my throat. I read a bit before I went to bed, it was warm inside so I opened the window for an hour. They don't open much and only on top so I decided it would be alright. Apparantly it wasn't, I woke up with a sore throat, a runny nose and my contacts still in my eyes.

Someone knocked on my door this morning when I just wanted to sleep. It was one of my roommates but I don't know what she wanted cuz I just rolled around in bed. I later found out the bucket and the floor washing... thing in the bathroom was gone so I assume she had decided to clean something. Maybe I've set a good example for the first time ever!

After a lot of rolling around, a bit of reading, a lot of dreaming and a bit of thinking, I decided to get up. My roommate and her boyfriend had left, I decided to make dinner. Everything ready, I put the oven on. It took a long time to warm up so I looked inside. I don't remember what I saw but it was enough for me to open the door and out came a massive wave of smoke. I threw the door shut, opened the veranda door and took off the thing that is in front of the fan above the stove.

I opened the oven door again and the smoke came towards me. I couldn't keep it open as I live in a building where frying an egg can set the fire alarm off, in which case it would go dooooaaaahdooooaaaah in the entire building for half an hour. I managed to leave it open a crack while the smoke went up into the fan, both from the oven and from the rest of the room. I looked inside to see if there was something in there.

What did I see? A pool of something that looked like oil. Like olive oil. It was all over the bottom of the oven and that was what caused all the smoke. "What a wonderful day..." I said to myself as I got down on the floor with loads of kitchen roll, dizzy as I was (my head feels like it's stuffed with cotton), and started mopping up the oil-like substance. It did not smell good, it did not look good and it was not too easy. I'm not in the habit of mopping up burning-hot oil from the inside of warm ovens.

But I did it and I put in the pizza. I was supposed to make it last night when my roommate (not the one who might have cleaned her room) had decided to have a romantic dinner with a potential boyfriend. They were whispering sweet nothings to each other and I found it best to give them a little privacy.

Then I had a shower and felt almost alright for the first time today.

I hope I'm not sick... Surely a sore throat, a runny nose, a head full of cotton, pains in my neck and shoulders, eyes and ears, being warm but feeling like I'm freezing does not constitute 'sick'. Or 'ill'. Or 'having a cold'. Does it?

I hate sick. It makes me feel powerless. Mind over matter, that's what I believe in, but when the matter has decided it wants to be goo for a few days, that just sucks. Lots of fluid isn't that what they say? I'm just worried the cotton will expand and my head will explode.

I think I'll take my chances with some warm milk and honey though. Can't go wrong with warm milk and honey.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:49 PM

    get well soon apples .. raavi

    ReplyDelete


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.