Thursday, April 21, 2005

Apples on drugs

I got sick Sunday. A week later, last Saturday, I got myself down to the medical centre to see a doctor. I was told on the phone there wasn't much people so I shouldn't have to wait long at all. I said "Great, so no three hour waiting then?", remembering all those tv shows and movies where people sit for hours waiting. "Oh no" the woman on the phone replied, "then we'd have to get in a busload of patients."

Well, apparantly the bus came cuz I waited for 3 hours and 45 minutes. I was sitting right in front of the door where people went in so it's not like they could have called me up and I just didn't hear. Then people who had arrived hours later than me started getting called up. I'm fine with people with sick kids getting in first (which they didn't) and people who are in pain should be sent in as soon as they come. But when you come two and a half hour after me, you're my age, you don't look sick, you don't sound sick, you're walking around with your two plastic bags of bottles from the liquer store, only getting the doctor's visit out of your way before you go home and get ready for tonight's party, and you get in after barely one hour of waiting, then it's not fine.

Anyway, I went into the room where they all went when their names were called. Not because they called my name, but because I started thinking they really must have called my name, no one had been there as long as I had. They looked at their computer and went "Umm... we were... uhh... just about to call you, let's see if we have a vacant room, hey, can you take her into room 1, do you have the paper they gave you when you came?"

I waited for another 10 minutes, then the doctor came, looked into my ears and nose, I had a fever but not too bad, I told him how I'd thought it was just a cold or the flu but then when I thought it was going away, it just came coming back. He said I had a sinus infection and I got a prescription for penicillin. Both the doc and the lady at the pharmacy said I should feel better after 2-3 days but it was very important I finished all the pills anyway. That was Saturday, now it's Thursday and I'm not feeling better. I've called them and they said give it time and drink a lot.

I'm not a good sick person. I hate being sick. I've lost my bounce. I can't remember the last time I took medicine... I remember we had penicillin when I was a kid, in a bottle, yucky tasting white goo - the worst thing I've ever had... I must have been 5-6 then. This is the weirdest 'sick' I've experienced though. Usually, when I have a cold, I just want it to go away and I fight it with everything I got. But now I just feel hopeless and helpless and even if I'd want to do something, I wouldn't be able to.

And the fire alarm has been going dooooaaaahdooooaaaah for so long now, it's actually changed its sound to doodooaaaahdoodooaaaah - two doos for every aaah.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.