Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Wednesday again

Today I got up really late, then I went to philosophy work group. I was there first time last week, chose new assignments, mine is something about arguing and making your statements more precise. That's what the last half of philosophy is all about. My thing is about how wars make people stop caring, that soldiers have to stop caring about what goes on around them. That is what they are taught to do, and that is something that just happens when people are put in an enviroment they don't know. I guess that's why soldiers train a lot, so they will be both physically and mentally prepared for what is coming. Don't think I agree with that though...

However, I don't get to give my point of view on this (yeah right, as if they can shut me up), but I'm supposed to discuss the meaning of a sentence that would sound something like

The custom of war is to ... make things inhumane...

See, how can I write something when what it's based on can't even be translated into English? But that's what it's about, how things can mean different things...

Anyways, I'm not doing that now, now I'm watching a film with the Olsen twins.. I think Wednesday night is Olsen twin night this month or something. And I've got a lollipop. I love lollipops :)

1 comment:

  1. "Whoever fights monsters" ?

    I heard something about that this week... Don't remember where or when, but it was about military strategy... Soldiers are taught that "we're the good guys, they're the bad guys", and that they just have to fight because the others have no respect for human life. They're not told this directly, but by subtly using agressive words it sort of gets through. Apparantly that makes soldiers more 'ok' with fighting. I don't like war in any way, and I don't think anyone has the right to kill anyone. But those who are out there, most of them, are there to help people, the way they think is best. I respect that. Doesn't mean I like it. But then again, maye it's not for me to like.

    ReplyDelete


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.