Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The War is On

I don't get angry easily. And when I'm here, I just don't have any reason to get angry. I guess little things that annoy me just pile up that way and sooner or later I have to let the steam out. Or explode. This is one of those times.

When I walked into the kitchen this morning, I found a sheet of paper taped to the wall above the sink:

YOUR MOTHER DOESN'T WORK HERE! CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF!

That was all it took. I'm furious! We have lived here for 14 months without any problem whatsoever. Sometimes there's a bit of mess in the kitchen, but never a lot. Sometimes it's spotless, although that is very rare. Then 2 months ago, in moves this guy, Pål. I asked my roommate Marte if she'd put the note up. She, like myself, suspected it was "the guy" who's done it. She said yesterday she'd found a post-it on the kitchen counter. It said something along the lines of:

CLEAN UP! DON'T WANT IT LIKE THIS. DO LIKE YOU WOULD AT HOME!

Then it had a little arrow. Pointing to some bread crumbs.

Is he out of his freakin mind?!? Who does he think he is? Going around leaving notes, what kind of chicken shit behaviour is that? Although we've lived here a year, we're perfectly aware we dont't 'live' here more than he does. We don't have any rules, he can do what he wants. But one thing is doing things your way, another is expecting the rest of us to do so too. If there was a lot of mess around here, that would be understandable. When one note comes because of two casseroles on the stove and a knife by the sink, and the other one physically indicated his dissatisfaction with our bread crumbs, well, that is going too far.

Another thing is that, as Marte put it "What, is he supposed to be perfect?". Well he's not. She said she, as I did, thought he was a nice guy when she first met him. But I don't know much about him simply because he never talks to me. Barely replies to my 'Hi!'s. First time I met him I asked him where he's from, what he studies. He never asked me anything. He doesn't seem to like talking to us. It's not easy to talk to him either. When he's in the kitchen he's wearing ear plugs. Listening to music. Apparently he's this way around everyone.

Maybe he's just a private person. But there still are things he does that are.. less than desireable. Things like when we came back here after summer he'd taken up two of the shelves in the fridge, Emas and Stines. If he knew how to count, he'd know there aren't enough shelves for each of us to have two. Details, I know, but annoying. He's only been nice to me twice. Once was just after he moved in. Second was when he needed a shelf in the freezer and there were none empty cuz Stine forgot to empty hers out when she left. Marte and I emptied two out for him and that was that.

And then the black stains. The thing is... when he's been out and it's been raining, he puts up his 'clothes drying rack thing' in the living room. We all do that when we've done the laundry. Difference is our stuff is not usually dripping wet when we put it in there. His huge black jacket, trousers and shoes are quite wet when he puts it all in there. We've all seen the puddles. He doesn't do anything about it. When they dry up there are big black stains that don't go away when you clean the floor. Maybe we should put a post-it on each stain...


I'm just furious. And Marte isn't much happier. If I'd been the one to see the bread crumble post-it, I'd been about ready to jam the second note down his throat. Actually I wouldn't mind doing that at all... Maybe I should bring my dreams of becoming a hit woman back to life. I took the second note down and Marte and I agreed to talk to him about it if we find another one. I don't know if Ema has seen them yet, she's quite the opposite of tidy and I'm certain she'd agree this is just too stupid.


If you wanna talk to me, talk to me. Don't leave no freakin notes. If you have a problem with what I'm doing, pick on me, not my friends. If that guy has any balls at all he better dig them up cuz he'll pretty soon have three angry chicks on his tail.

1 comment:

  1. Throw a messy house party.

    That ought to rot his dripping-wet socks.

    And when the party's done, make spaghetti with garlic bread. Mmm... sauce and breadcrumbs. There'll be some sticky's left, for sure.

    ReplyDelete


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.