Thursday, June 25, 2009

St. Hans at Midsummer

St. Johns Eve / Sankthans / Jonsok / Midsummer - whatever you call it, is celebrated on June 23rd in Norway.

We light bonfires, have barbecues, basically just enjoy ourselves and have a good time.

It's tradition for girls to go out and pick seven flowers, one of each kind, before they go to bed. They put the flowers under their pillow, and during the night they'll dream of the man they'll marry.

I've done that every single St.Hans of my life. Well, at least since I learnt about the tradition - which was probably as soon as I was old enough to walk.

Not that I ever dream of anyone (usually one of few night of the year I have a dreamless sleep). But it's tradition. Like eggs at Easter.


Only this year... I forgot. I didn't even think about it until now, two days later. It's a little like... knowing it's Christmas but forgetting to buy presents.

Sure, people would say I'm too old to still do it, but it's just one of those little things I like to do... like smelling all the lilacs in spring. There's no reason not to. It's just one of the many many little things that make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.