Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Pasta!

I've always wanted to try and make pasta from scratch. I'd been looking around for durum wheat everywhere and finally found it - imported from Italy - a few months ago. Today was to be the day.

I decided on ravioli since I found a nice recipe in my book Italian & Pasta. I had the durum wheat, the eggs, the olive oil and did what the recipe said.

Then I left it for a bit before finding the rolling pin. I had the strange feeling of trying to squeeze a brick as thin as paper. Hard dough + no muscles = thick pasta.

I then filled it with a mix of butter, garlic, shallot onions, cellery, mushroom, mozarella and parmesan. To my great surprise I found it actually tasted nice.

Cut, fill, squeeze. Cut, fill, squeeze. Cut fill, squeeze.

There we go then, leave it for a little while, watch some curling (Norway - Sweden in the ladies' semi finals). Boil for a few mins, put on plate with a butter-garlic-pepper sauce and some cheese on top. If there's one thing I love as much as pasta, it's gotta be garlic.


Taste. Yumm..... *chew chew...chew*! Alright, that was a disappointment... I think they were too thick. And not boiled long enough. Is this really how pasta is made?


Oh well, at least I've tried it now. Won't know if you like it until you've tried. I believe I had three pieces of ravioli - I couldn't even chew them. There's more in the fridge.



And we didn't even win the match!

3 comments:

  1. Apples, well, we still have a chance for the bronze. I was disappointed too when the team lost to Sweden but that is how it is...

    So sorry about your pasta too... maybe next time you'd get it right. If it would make you feel better, I am very bad in the kitchen. Goodness knows how much food I have wasted over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ideally, get a pasta roller that will help you get it this with much less effort.

    Also when cooking fresh ravioli, it should sink when you put it in, and float once it's ready.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AL - glad to hear that :D

    Timo - the ravioli floating - I know. It did float for about 5 minutes before I got it out(I boiled it twice as long as it should have been), I thought it was finally soft enough but.. no.

    - I used to want a pasta machine thingy but I really have all the stuff I need :) I'm looking for experiences, I prefer having as little stuff as possible.

    ReplyDelete


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.