Sunday, March 13, 2005

Compass

I have a compass that I got when I left France almost nine months ago. It's messed up when I try and sit here and figure out what's north and south cuz of the computer. So I go to the other side of the room and try. I want to figure out for once where is north, south, east and west. I hold the compass and see alright, that's north. I've got a piece of paper that tells me how many degrees I have to turn to find out where places are seen from Bergen.

I put the compass on the floor to be able to look at the paper at the same time as keeping the compass straight. To my surprise I see that on the floor, north has moved 60 degrees to the west. I try this again. And again. A change in elevation of five feet changes north between 30 and 60 degrees. Is it just me or does this seem silly?

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.