Saturday, March 05, 2005

Asking Jeeves

Trying to find out how many people are killed in the US every year, I asked Jeeves a well meaning though perhaps badly phrased

"how many are killed in the US every year?"

The results on the first page included one

"14 year old asian girl getting tied up and fucked by 4 men "

and an address I have no intentions of posting.


I am speechless...

Not that that ever lasts long. What on earth... What... How... But...

Jeez.......

This is the world we don't want to know exists. This is the only kind of world I would ever want to pretend doesn't exist. But it does. And we can't close our eyes.


Also got some more results

"how to avoid being killed by your doctor" which I found to be.... interesting.


And the one that made me laugh so hard I thought I'd wake my neighbours:

The Worst of British
- Technical support helpline calls
- Insurance claims
- Complains to the council

check em out, you won't regret it
also check out the FBIs top 20 unusual deaths, that's how I got to that page

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:46 PM

    I would suggest refining your search to US death statistics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were entertaining links.

    By the way the annual number of murders (I assume that is the type of deaths you were looking for) in the US is about 18,000. By comparison, 20,000 are killed by the flu, 90 by lightning strikes, drugs kill 17,000, there are 30,000 suicides, and each year traffic accidents claim 25,000.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In comparison, 30-40 people are killed (murdered) in Norway every year. If we say it's 40 and and we know that the US has around 55.56 times more inhabitants than us, we'll see that our 40 would be 2222 there. 8 times more people, when we take into account the difference in populations, are killed in the US than in Norway. I guess that might be because there are more cities, bigger cities.

    or as Bill the cowboy said; "you all r bad shooters"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think we here in the US are around 25th in the world in terms of murder per capita. We are far higher than essentially any other developed countries. It might be due to the cities, but no doubt a whole host of other factors play a part. The one I am most focused on is the availability of hand guns. While only 25th in terms of total murders per capita, we are solidly in the top 10 in terms of shooting deaths per capita.

    When I was younger I interned at an organization that had the goal of limiting hand guns and other guns which have limited purpose other than to be used as a weapon against humans. However, the political enviorenment here is such that it is unlikely that progress will ever really be made on this issue.

    The US in general is a safe place (at least I think of it as so and have never had any problems). However, certain areas do have a significant amount of crime. For instance I am about 15 kilometers from Washington, DC, which has gotten the nickname "The Murder Capital" due to very high homicides rates for such a small city. Even though DC, as this nation's capital, has a lot of interesting cultural sights and lots of interesting activities, there are people who often forego these due to the perceived risk of being in the city late at night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Norway you're actually not allowed to carry a loaded gun in public. This goes for all other kinds of weapons aswell. I'm not sure how that works with hunting and things... You're not even supposed to bring a knife with you, although you can if you're wearing the national costume, the 'bunad', where there's a small knife attached to the men's stockings.

    And I think it's a good thing, I've never heard of anyone who thought this was a bad idea. We don't need guns. Simple as that.

    ReplyDelete


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.