Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Dreams from home

Last night I dreamt about someone I went to school with - I'm never able to dream about someone I haven't seen for years and it was a nice surprise. Some dreams make you wake up feeling relaxed and this was one of them.

My mum asked me yesterday when a girl in my class will have her next baby and I started thinking about what everyone is doing now. Some people I see pretty much every time I'm home, others I haven't met since we left school - and it's been quite a few years now.

Growing up in such a small town had its ups and downs. Moving away gave me a great sense of freedom - I no longer had to play the part that had been handed to me, and which I'd reluctantly embraced. It took a while before I realized I was defining myself through other people's perceptions of me.

That's all changed, and today I'm a different person. We all probably are. The longer I stay away, the more I enjoy coming back here. And I don't think that will ever change.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.