Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Olny srmat poelpe can raed tihs.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

if you can raed tihs psas it on !!



I learnt about this in my cognition class last year.
Psychology was fun!

6 comments:

  1. I learned spelling is unimportant and thus always have mistakes in words. Espesically when it comes to blog posts and the credits to movies i've made as they scroll by.

    "Only in Canada is the biggest doughnut and coffe chain named after a Hockey Player"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only the first and last letters matter.

    Wow. Philosophically, that's a great anology for a great many things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:14 AM

    That IS cool. Now I can tell all my friends that I can read gibberish!

    Except they'd probably say it's a natural progression after already talking gibberish for years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I cna't blieeve I cuold atucally raed taht wihoutt diculffiets at all! Azaming waht the barin can do...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:04 PM

    I read a different study, where they said only the two first lettes have to be correct, and the rest can be mixed any way you want them.

    To be honest though, I don't believe in the "Only smart people can read this" claim. It's not that I consider myself stupid, but it's really not hard to read at all. And interestingly enough, I think it's easier for dyslectic people to read it than for non-dyslectic people. After all, dyslectics recognise words, rather than read the letters. And so the visual match that you get while reading this would be easier for dyslectics. Again, not saying that dyslectics are stupid, I'm just saying I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the "only smart people can read this" headline was only because you think you have to be real smart and then realize it's for everyone. Then you feel smart!

    ReplyDelete


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.