Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Midnight Exercise

I like my bed. I love beds. I love rolling around, wrapping myself up in my duvet, I love shaking my pillow so it's fluffy and soft. I love sleeping late in the mornings, I love the feeling of being really sleepy and knowing and I can sleep all night...


Dooooaaadooooaaadooooaaadooooaaa!!!!!


I do not like fire alarms. I do not like it when they go off in the middle of the night and we have to put our clothes on and go downstairs. I don't like standing down there with everybody else, wondering what's going on and if it's a false alarm again.


Dooooaaadooooaaadooooaaadooooaaa


And then the firemen come. They stop their trucks and rush inside, up the stairs and down again. They've got big pants and funny hats. Sometimes they have big tanks of air on their backs. We just look at them and try and stay awake.


Dooooaaadooooaaadooooaaadooooaaa


Someone says there had been some sort of fire in one of the appartments for the handicapped. They should all live on the first or second floor, I have no idea why they've placed them up on the fifth - how are they supposed to get out of bed, into their wheelchairs and down four flights of stairs? Someone says it was on the second floor. We go back to our appartments.


Dooooaaadooooaaadooooaaadooooaaa


On the fifth floor there's a fireman holding the door open and a girl saying she has to get into a room where she doesn't live. My roommates (the two guys) and I get back to the appartment - Ema dislikes the alarms more than I do and refuses to go downstairs when it goes off.


Dooooaaadooooaaadooooaaadooooaaa


So... the firemen came. Put out the fire. Everything's alright. Why is the alarm still on?


Dooooaaadooooaaa...


It stopped. That's ok then, I don't mind it so much when there's actually a fire - better tired than dead. My roommate, the new one, asks if this happens a lot. He's relieved he didn't live here when we'd just moved in and this was a weekly event. Time to go to bed. Night night!


Dooooaaadooooaaadooooaaaadooooaaa


"Oh by the way" I explain to the new roommate, "it usually stops here for a minute, starts on the next floor, stops there, it's still on in the hallway, then it starts in your room and stops when it goes off in the living room...". He looks tired and says "ahh".


Dooooaaadooooaaadooooaaa

Dooooaaadooooaaadooooaaa

Dooooaaadooooaaadooooaaa



It may keep us from dying but a few improvements would be welcome.

Sleep. Now. Lights. Out. Contact. Lenses. In. Eyes. Zzzzzz.....

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:04 AM

    I remember once when I was doing my undergraduate degree and staying at dorms, firealarm went off at middle of the night while I was taking a shower. grrrr It is so frustating. It was usual for fire alarms to go off at uni dorms. It just plainly sucked at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just hate it whenever that happens. I live in an apartment too, so we do get false alarms from time to time (though it's not a weekly event over here ;)).

    We were staying in this apartment in Manchester. It was night time and all of a sudden firemen came busting through our front door and the window in my dad's study room. We didn't even hear the fire engine, no fire alarms... nothing. So it was quite a shock for us to see all these men in our place trying to get us to come out of our apartment. Turns out there was a fire in the apartment 2 stories below us. So yeah, I'd take the alarm any time, any day. hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They've been having issues with that over at the college residence too. At least, until it got to the point that it was 1:00 in the morning, and somebody threatened to cut the fingers off the next person to pull the alarm.

    Then it got quiet for a whole week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last time we had a meeting, probably in August last year, we were told not to open beer bootles using the alarms. It's been surprisingly quiet since, maybe people realized it was serious when firemen started coming whenever they got thirsty...

    ReplyDelete


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.