Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Power to the Paintbrush

I don't wear a lot of make up. Never have. Then this morning I started thinking about it and decided to go nuts (meaning putting on what most girls put on every day). This included;


  • Moisturizer (creamy stuff to stop your skin going greasy and/or dry)
  • Foundation (like paint, the colour is usually some shade of brown)
  • Powder (is just what it says, usually brownish)
  • Eyeliner (pencil, usually black, to draw lines around the eyes)
  • Eyebrow... liner? (pencil to draw on your eyebrows)
  • Mascara (waterproof) (liquidy stuff to put on eyelashes with a brush)
  • Eye shadow (powder paint in all colours, goes on the eyelids)
  • Lipstick (sticky thing you put on the lips)
  • Lip gloss (even more sticky, goes on top or instead of lipstick)

To start on top... the moisturizer isn't something I consider make up but I needed it to mix with the foundation, otherwise it would have been too strong. I bought this foundation thing, the only one I have, and ever have had, two and a half years ago and I've tried it out three or four times. It's sticky, greasy and would just take too long to get it right. I was kinda surprised it hadn't turned green yet...

The powder was fine, didn't really need it with all that stuff on my face already. Didn't wear rouge as that would just be way too much. Eyeliner... the black thing always looks weird, it's like a thin line and it shouldn't be like that. Mascara... I need a new one... The waterproof one I have (a must around here) has always been horrible so I've only used it a few times.

Today I realized why – the thing down in the.. bottle? (make up expressions - not my strong side) that is supposed to stop too much mascara coming out just wasn't there in that one. So whatever was there would attach itself to the brush and my eyelashes would glue themselves together and I couldn't really open my eyes anymore... Eye shadow.. now that was fun. I decided on brown to go with the whole foundation mess. It just looked too much but when I took it off it wasn't too bad.

It might not sound like it but the result when I was done wasn't too bad. It looked, to me at least, perfectly wearable.

Now, as if this wasn't enough, and I'm sure you've found this exceptionally interesting already, I'll list some of my own pros and cons wearing make up;


Cons:

  • I don't like putting lots of goo on my face
  • Takes a lot of time
  • If you eat something your lip gloss disappears
  • If you drink something there's lip gloss all over your glass
  • When it rains it moves around (and by 'rains' I mean 'pours' cuz there's no such thing as 'a little rain' around here)
  • When it's hot it moves around (hot as in warm summer day)
  • If I put on / take out / move my contacts cuz they itch it might get messy
  • If I rub my eyes, which I do, especially when I'm tired, mascara goes all over the place
  • There's something about eye makeup that makes me incredibly tired no matter how late I slept that morning – so much for “Look fresh all day!”
  • If you blow your nose you've got foundation on the paper and a white spot around your nose
  • If you've got long hair it sticks to your lips

Pros:

  • It looks nice.
  • It feels great to clean your face in the evening!


You know... I think I'm gonna go back to doing it my way. Maybe the “tired, eyes closing and cotton in my head in the evening” only happens to me (could I found something I'm allergic to?). I don't wear make up every day but I'm not saying I never wear any. But going 'all the way' like I tried today is simply not for me.

If you love it and can't imagine letting go of your concealer or foundation or whatever magic potion it is you have then good for you! I just don't know how you do it.

Now I'm gonna go wash my face off after I've taken out the toothpicks I've used to keep my eyelids open.


Maybe she's born with it.
Believe me – she's not.

4 comments:

  1. Ahh. That would explain the questions.

    I prefer the natural look myself, but as the saying goes: to each, their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. blech. i prefer women with little or no makeup. that stuff tastes terrible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybelline Wonder Finish makeup is pretty good. I like it because it's light. Or their...Pure Stay..or something like that powder foundation. Full and Soft is a great mascara (also Maybelline) because it really does leave your lashes soft. I haven't tried the waterproof variety though.

    If your face started itching or your nose, my best guess would be that it's the foundation. Since it's pretty old it might have some kind of bacteria growing in it.

    I definitely agree with your pros and cons list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bacteria? Ewww....

    But no, not so much itching as getting tired. That always happen, foundation or no foundation.

    ReplyDelete


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.