Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Seter



In one of my posts, Easter skiing in the valley, I explained what a Norwegian 'seter' is, I've never been able to find a good term for it in English... What I said then was this;

Basically they were places where someone in the farmer's family, usually women - a 'budeie' - stayed during summer, or went during the day to milk the cows. Now they're used as places where people build small cabins and go to get away from home for a weekend, or stay longer during summer.

The picture above is a seter and this is pretty much what they looked like a hundred years ago. Many haven't changed. This place is called Holskarsetra and I really can't say what the word means.. There are no roads and it's a thirty minute walk up through the woods to get here. We walk through during summer when we go to a mountain up and to the left of this picture. People still stay here, only during summer of course. It's a peaceful place, nothing but cows, mosquitoes and the occational hiker.

Photos are taken by a neighbour and are the headings for the new pages Honndalsportalen. They're mostly for those who live in town so if you can't read Norwegian you won't understand much. But the pictures are pretty! Below is, I belive, the view from our highest mountain.

3 comments:

  1. So... they were sort of like summer cabins with a practical pasture? I looked it up on Wikipedia and came up with this.

    There is no word in English for it, so in the spirit of the English language, I'm going to temporarily assimilate the concept and just call it a Seter. Closest term being a "Summer Ranch."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:39 AM

    I like the 2nd pic than the 1st.. mountaineous.. :D nice

    Swagato

    ReplyDelete


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.