Thursday, February 10, 2005

The last week

The net took a break on Friday and wasn't back up until Tuesday. I hate it when that happens during the weekend, they usually fix it on Monday but this time it took until Tuesday night. But I'm back (can't get rid of me) and I've listed a few things I wanted to comment on.

Helicopters
There's a military training thing going on in the ocean just off the coast. Soldiers from several countries are out there for a couple of weeks before moving further north where they will be joined by more soldiers from other countries. They'll pretend to be 'protecting the peace' in a country called Utopia.

And this weekend I saw a helicopter. Well, it looked more like a small airplane, but it was a helicopter. With four windows like in airplanes, biggest helicopter I've ever seen. People staring up into the sky everywhere. Today there were two more, normal sized though, strange green colour, flying over the city.

Dream 1
I dreamt I was wearing see-through underwear under see-through clothes. Not a good idea. Rather disturbing actually... :)

Dream 2
A dream about something I thought I'd remember but I've forgot.

Singing birds
The birds here are singing at night. We don't usually hear birds singing during the winter, they've all gone south months ago. But now they're singing at 3am. I know this because I'm awake at 3am, which I shouldn't be. But the birds are awake too... I wonder what's going on.

Dragon Mountain
After they've started tearing down the Student Centre where we used to have our lectures, we now go to the concert hall Grieghallen, and we've also had our first lecture at the law school, or the law department of the University. There are 850 of us and they have to split us between two auditoriums to fit us in. Most of us, anyway. The law school is affectionately, and officially, known as the Dragon Mountain. That's what it says in the papers we get from the University, that's what the professors say; "the next lecture is at the Dragon Mountain". Guess that says it all about our future lawyers.

Great professor
I love our Cognition professor! I do, I really do. We've had one lecture Monday afternoon. Entering the auditorium tired after lectures on Methods and Developmental Psychology, we all quickly woke up. The professor is from Switzerland and he's great. He takes a few seconds to get his Norwegian right every time, although we understand him perfectly (most of the time), but when he's the funniest guy you've met in ages, it's really really worth it. And it's not like some of the other professors who seem to struggle to put a joke in there, he just says something or does something and... I don't know, maybe he should be a comedian. He's a natural. Plus he really knows what he's talking about - I went straight home and started reading the book. Can't wait for the next lecture on Cognition.

Attachment
We talked about attachment in Development. Some kids don't get a strong attachment to their parents and can have problems getting attached to people later in life. They can grow up (and into) not needing intimacy or being close to others. As adults they are just like everybody else, they just have problems telling or showing people they care about them, or they just don't need other people. We learnt about a lot of different kinds of children and adults, but I noticed this one. I'm wondering if that's what happened to me. Not that my parents ever did anything wrong, it's not about that, but maybe I just... have that kind of personality.

What if I'll never be able to tell, or show, someone that I care about them? What if I'll never let myself need anyone? How would that work? That's the way it is now, maybe the critical and/or sensitive periods for attachment are long gone and I'm forever destined to... well it's not that I don't care about people, cuz I do. I guess it's just hard to see, and it must seem like I don't really care about anyone. But I do.

Dream 3
I dreamt I was drinking coke. Which is strange because I don't really like coke...

Dream 4
Started dreaming a lot lately... Dreamt a woman was paying for something at a shop and she had 20 øre (3.5 cents) less than what she had to pay (weird since our smallest coin is 50 øre). The person at the till said it didn't matter. Then the woman walked out and I found 20 øre. Suddenly I was that woman and I walked back into the shop and gave them the 20 øre coin I had found.

We Were Soldiers
This was the Sunday night movie last week and I decided to watch it. After having seen Full Metal Jacket a few days earlier, I guess I expected something like it. I liked the first part of FMJ but the second part was... well I can't really say, I've never been anywhere close to a situation like that, but it didn't seem real and the feeling just wasn't there. In We Were Soldiers, however, the feeling was there. Big time. I loved it. I sometimes hope the ending won't be a happy ending when I watch movies because happy endings... life isn't always like that. We want it to be, but it's not reality. That's a horrible thing to say isn't it? Not wanting happy endings? Anyway, I don't know if you've seen it or not, but in the last scene, when the taxi came, I was expecting a letter. And when it wasn't... I think everyone who has seen that movie must have felt the relief I felt. Even if it was just a movie. I hope real life has happy endings.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please leave your name in the dropdown box.